Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Pages

21 Aug 2012

Sikkim player in India team - 23-year-old midfielder features in the 20-member squad for Nehru Cup

Gangtok, Aug. 20: Sikkim boy Sanju Pradhan, the captain of the East Bengal football team, has made it to the 20-member Indian squad for the Nehru Cup, which begins in Delhi on Wednesday.

Nirmal Chettri and Sunil Chettri are also in the squad and Sunil would be leading the Indian team in the tourney.

It is the first time that 23-year-old Pradhan has found a place in the national squad.

“My dreams have come true. I have been waiting for a call to the team for many years. I have got an opportunity now,” the midfielder told The Telegraph from the selection camp in Greater Noida.

“I have promised to myself to work hard and give my best if I make it to the (final) team. As players it is our dream to play international matches. We get to play against players who have different styles and approach. I will also get to know my calibre and I try to improve my game,” said the footballer who hails from Nelli in South Sikkim.

During the selection camp at Greater Nodia Sanju played several friendly matches.

“I cannot say whether I would be in the first XI, it depends on the coach. But I will try my best to make most out of the opportunities coming my way,” he said.

Footballer Bhaichung Bhutia said he was happy that two players from Sikkim had been selected for the national squad. “Nirmal has played before for the national team. Sanju is making it to the team for the first time and let’s hope he does well. Both are hard working and dedicated and would do well,” he said.

The general secretary of Sikkim Football Association, Menla Ethenpa, said: “Sanju Pradhan’s entry was long awaited in the Nehru Cup.”

In the opening match of the tourney, defending champion India will take on Syria at the Ambedkar Stadium in Delhi.

Bhaichung Bhutia is supposed to attend the Nehru Cup matches.(TT)

0 comments: