Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Pages

19 Sept 2012

Tremor in Gangtok on first quake anniversary

Gangtok, Sept. 18: A 4.1 magnitude quake today shook Sikkim at 5.56pm when the state was marking its first anniversary of last year’s tremor.

There has been no report of damage or casualties yet.

Last year on the same day, a 6.9-strong quake killed 60 people in the state. That quake, with its epicentre near Mangan in North Sikkim, happened a little before 6pm.

This evening’s tremor, which lasted barely two seconds, created panic in Gangtok where people were gathering on MG Marg for a candle-light march. People came out of their houses in panic.

The power department cut off electricity for five minutes in Gangtok to prevent any accident because of the quake.

According to a preliminary report, the epicentre of the quake is believed to be between Gangtok and Mangan.

In West and North Sikkim districts, the tremor — described as “slight” on the IMD site — was not felt.

“I was watching TV at home when I felt a strong jolt which disappeared in seconds. That was enough for me to rush out,” said Aman Sundas, a resident of Tibet Road.

Lata Chettri, a 56-year-old homemaker on MG Marg, said she could not feel the quake. “I was walking and saw some of the people running on the road. I remember last year’s quake, it was so scary that my family and I slept in our car for two nights.”

The fear was evident on the faces of the people who had gathered at MG Marg this evening.

“My friend and I had come to participate in the candle vigil at MG Marg; I was carrying candles in our hand. The sound was loud, I am still nervous,” said college student Madan Tamang.

Many of the shopkeepers at MG Marg downed the shutters and headed to their respective homes after the tremor.

“I was showing garments to customers when the earthquake happened, though it didn’t continue for a long time, the jolt was enough to make me shiver” said a garment shopkeeper at Kanchenjungha shopping complex.

0 comments: