Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Pages

7 May 2012

Football club sets eyes on I-League - Kalimpong boys get england-trained coach


Some of the players of Share Football Club in Kalimpong on Sunday. Picture by Chinlop Fudong Lepcha
Kalimpong, May 6: A football club was formed here today with 25 players who want to make a mark by playing in the second division I-League seven-eight years from now. The boys are being trained by a coach who has an international degree.
Share Football Club is Kalimpong’s first organised soccer club with dedicated players under a three-year contract.
Today, the club introduced its 25 footballers and released its official magazine along with an audio album Josh at a programme here.
“We want to provide a very good platform for footballers from the subdivisional level. Our ultimate aim is to play in the second division I-League in about seven to eight years,” said Ryan Lepcha, the treasurer of the club.
The club has already qualified for the local A Division League this year.
“We won the B Division League last year and we hope to do well this time. All our players are from Kalimpong subdivision. Since all of them are students, we are providing stipend for their education. We are also taking care of the accommodation and food of the players from outside the town,” said Lepcha.
Although the footballers had participated in local-level matches earlier under the banner of Share Football Club, the club was formally formed today with each player getting a three-year contract.
Lepcha said the club was paying the tuition fees for footballers who study in schools and colleges. Players from outside the town have been put up as paying guests in Kalimpong.
The players practise in the playground of Dr. Graham’s Homes school.
“We are trying to inculcate professionalism in our boys as far as the training method is concerned. We have a very good chief coach Chandra Kumar Rai (popular as Chandramani) who has a coaching certificate from the Football Association of England,” said Prabhakar Gurung, a member of the club.
Roshan Gurung, a 20-year-old striker, said: “I came back to Kalimpong after playing for Calcutta clubs like Bhowanipore and Rainbow. In Calcutta, I became aware of many technical flaws in my game. I intend to try my luck there again with improved skills that I hope to achieve under Chandramani uncle.”
Roshan is pursuing his BA degree at Kalimpong College.
Issac Lepcha, who appeared for the Higher Secondary exams this year, said: “Our coach is very good. I never had the fortune of receiving quality training that I am presently undergoing. I had played in Subroto Cup in 2008 and I have a feeling that had we received this kind of training, we would have done very well. I want to make the most out of this coaching by working hard. My aim is to play in the I-League.”
The 19-year-old is a student of The Scottish Universities' Mission Institution (SUMI).(TT)

0 comments: